About Our School
NHHS Statement of Core Values and Beliefs
As a result of their experiences at North Haven High School, students become thoughtful, responsible, and independent members of a diverse global society. To achieve this goal, staff, students, parents, and the community create an atmosphere of mutual respect, shared responsibility, and support that encourages engagement within the school, community, and world.
Students will demonstrate proficiency in the following areas:
- Communication: The process of expressing ideas in a variety of media and for a variety of purposes, attending to discipline-specific content and conventions.
- Digital Literacy: The process of using real-world digital tools to ethically access, evaluate, and strategically integrate information for authentic tasks.
- Analytical Thinking: The process of breaking complex processes into components and pursuing solutions systematically and logically.
- Health and Wellness: The process of understanding and utilizing health and wellness information to enhance personal well-being, responsibility, and self-direction.
- College and Career Readiness: The process of building a foundation for acquiring skills, attitudes, and knowledge that contribute to effective learning in school and enabling students to make a successful transition from school to post-secondary education, training, or world of work.
- Problem Solving: The process of productive and perseverant problem solving: of gathering, organizing, synthesizing, and evaluating information in order to reason abstractly and quantitatively.
Social and Civic Expectations
- Provide service to the greater community
- Develop and maintain behavior that promotes a healthy and responsible lifestyle
- Exhibit respect for themselves and others
- Understand and demonstrate the rights and responsibilities of citizenship
- Explore career options
North Haven High School
About The School
North Haven High School (est. 1954) is a comprehensive public high school serving over 1,000 students in grades 9 through 12. The state-of-the-art campus, which opened in September, 2005, is located on 221 Elm Street in North Haven, CT. The school features a challenging and diverse academic program which includes more than a dozen advanced placement courses, college credit partnerships with Gateway Community College and the University of Connecticut. In addition to courses in core academic areas (English, social studies, mathematics & computer science, and physical and life sciences), NHHS also offers a wide variety of elective courses in art, career education (business, family & consumer sciences, culinary arts, technology education), gifted & talented, media arts, music (instrumental and choral), physical education, and world languages (Chinese, French, Italian, Latin and Spanish). Please see our Program of Studies for a more comprehensive list of courses and academic programs.
Students at North Haven High School enjoy the use of Chromebooks, which are assigned to each student at the beginning of the year and remain with them through graduation, and teachers employ Google Classroom and other technologies to enhance the learning environment.
NHHS is a member of the Southern Connecticut Conference and participates in more than 20 varsity sports as well as several club level sports (see Athletics). Additionally, the school offers dozens of extracurricular opportunities to enhance student life. In fact, some 70% of NHHS students participate in a club, sport or other extracurricular activity each year.